Friday, September 5, 2014

Peach Cobbler (Vegan)




My brother-in-law John requested I make him a peach cobbler. John is an anti-vegetarian, because he says there aren't enough hours in the day for him to eat the amount of vegetarian food he needs to keep himself full. I would concede with this statement. I eat constantly! But I am totally okay with that.
When I gave John his peach cobbler last night I didn't tell him it was organic, vegan, and made with unrefined sugar. I have yet to hear his review of my fruit pastry, but I have every confidence that it was a success. 

What you'll need:
Filling
7-8 cups of peaches (the ones I had were huge so it only took 4)
3/4 cup of coconut sugar
1/4 cup of fresh orange or lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
Pinch of sea salt

Crust
2 cups organic, unbleached white flour
1/2 cup of coconut oil
7-8 tbsp ice cold water
1 tbsp coconut sugar
Pinch of sea salt

Crust tips: you get the best results when your ingredients are super cold. I store my flour in the freezer, and you can place your pre-measured coconut oil in the freezer while you prepare your equipment.

For you crust purists, I will be using my food processor, so look away! ;)


Add your flour, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and salt to your processor. Give it a few pulses to combine. Then set your processor to the dough setting (or low) and slowly add your ice cold water. You will be looking for your crust dough to be crumbly, but still able to hold together nicely when pressed. Like so...


This recipe makes two crusts or one really large, thick crust. Decide what you are looking for, and set out the appropriate amout of plastic wrap. I will be making two crusts, and saving one in my freezer. Dump your mix out on the plastic wrap. Quickly and using your wrap press the mix into a disc shape.


Allow the dough to set in the refridgerator for one hour up to overnight. 

For the filling: cut your peaches into 1/2 inch slices and place in a large bowl. Add the coconut sugar, juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Then mix together until the peaches are coated.


Dump your mix into a medium sized, shallow oven safe dish. 

On a lightly floured surface, roll out your chilled crust disc, and place over your peaches. If you are fancy, at this time you can jazz up your crust. I have zero expertise in this area
. I like to think my flavor makes up for my lack of visual creativity! Regardless of your design be sure to vent your crust by slicing into it with a small pairing knife. 


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes of until crust is golden. 

Enjoy!









1 comment: