Wednesday, September 3, 2014

It's been a while...

And by a while I mean a couple years! However, just like with living a healthy lifestyle when you fall of the horse the best way to continue forward is to get right back in the saddle. 

I have a Facebook page where I post pictures of my random meals, but I don't usually post the recipes in their entirety because it seems odd to me or something. Anyway, that's why I am back here. Also, I just like the format of blogging vs Facebook posting.

Since I last posted my eating lifestyle has changed pretty dramatically. I am now a vegetarian. Most days I don't eat animal product of any kind. I, literally, could spend this whole post talking about my eating choices and why I make them, but for relevance sake I will just save that for another day. To simplify, I eat a whole food plant-based diet. Meaning, if it grows from the ground I eat it. If I can pronounce or understand the ingredients I eat it. If it had a face or a family I don't eat it!

So let's go! Today I threw together some delicious Italian style pasta for lunch. I love making up crap as I go along. Honestly, most of the time, it turns out better than when I follow a recipe.

I decided to to resurrect this blog after I had already made the meal so I don't have any "as we go" sort of pictures. Next time!

This recipe makes two servings. 

What you'll need:

1/2 box of 100% whole wheat pasta

1 whole vine ripe tomato 

3 cloves of garlic

1 cup of fresh spinach

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 

5-7 natural black olives

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1/4 tsp parsley 

1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast

Sea salt and pepper 


To begin start your pasta water. Salt the water generously.

In a small sauté pan over med-low heat place your evoo,  minced garlic, diced tomato, balsamic vinegar, crushed red pepper, and parsley. Cook until tomatoes are slightly soft.  Keep an eye on that garlic, no one likes that bitter over cooked garlic taste.

Cook paste. Drain, but do not rinse.

In a medium bowl place spinach, chopped olives, and nutritional yeast.

Dump hot pasta and tomato, evoo mixture over the spinach. Toss to combine. 

Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment