Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pumpkin Spice French Toast



Get some tape ready, because this recipe may blow your socks right off!
I have discovered this beautiful new (to me) farm just outside Joplin. The farm's owner loves to have you visit to see his happy animals. Word of warning, they are literally running around everywhere, so drive cautiously. He sells his fresh eggs for $2/dozen! There is meat available if you are interested, and it is also incredibly priced. Get more details and directions at http://www.brooksheritagefarms.com. 
So, with my fresh eggs in tow and the nearing of fall in my heart, I set out to make the most tasty weekend breakfast I could muster. 

This recipe makes 6 pieces.

What you'll need:
6 pieces of whole grain bread (I am using the fresh bread recipe that can be found on my blog)
3 eggs
1/2 cup of almond milk 
1/4 cup of pumpkin purée
3/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp of ground allspice 
Note: if not using homemade bread you might have to let your slices sit in the mix a little while, because they will not soak up it up quickly like fresh bread would. Also, I used pretty thick slices, so using thinner store bought slices may result in left over mix. Basically, what I am saying is make some fresh bread. You can thank me later.

First in a large bowl, larger than what you think you'll need so you can really beat those eggs, add eggs, almond milk, pumpkin, vanilla, and spices. Then, you guessed it, beat them together! You don't want any chunks, so really get after it. When it's really combined pour the mix in a flat bottomed dish of your choosing. I used a casserole dish. Dunk your bread slices on each side. Allowing them to really soak this stuff up. The more the better. At this time take a second, if you haven't already, to smell this amazingness. Why yes, it does smell like pumpkin pie. Lucky us!

Heat up your skillet and add a little bit of oil to prevent sticking. Then cook the bread on each side until nicely browned.

I have drizzled some bourbon caramel sauce over the top! Recipe for this can be found here: http://minimalistbaker.com/4-ingredient-bourbon-caramel-sauce/
I simply veganised and unrefined her recipe by using coconut sugar and coconut milk. Fry up some hash browns, and as my grandfather-in-law so beautifully puts it, "Slop this hog!".

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment