Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Three Cheese Mushroom Spinach Lasagna



Sometimes you just have to indulge. I try to keep dairy out of my life as much as possible, but I just can not deny that cheese. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it makes me feel a little better to know that when I am eating off my typical diet, I always try to make the recipe in my very own kitchen. That way I know exactly what I am putting into my mouth.

Now that I've justified my actions, let's get to the goods! Just a word of caution: you may want to invite some friends or family to finish this dish the night you make it, or you may find yourself having the leftovers for breakfast and lunch the next day. Not speaking from experience or anything!

What you'll need:
Marinara Sauce
1 28oz can of tomato puree
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
sea salt and pepper

Lasagna
1 12oz box of whole wheat lasagna noodles (you will not use all of these)
1 16oz package of fresh mozzerella (mine was presliced, this saved time)
1 24oz container of cottage cheese (I used full flavor, I warned you we are indulging here!)
1 8oz block of parmesan cheese, grated
1 12oz container of button mushrooms, sliced
3 cups of fresh spinach
1 tbsp evoo
Sea salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

To begin, we are going to throw together our own marinara sauce. In a large pot heat the evoo over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and seasonings. When the onion is cooked through reduce the heat to low and add the cans of tomato. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Allow the sauce to cook for about 15-20mins.

In another large pot fill 3/4 of the way with salted water and bring to a boil. When this boils add your noodles.

In a skillet heat the evoo over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms. Cook until they release their liquid.

Now it is time for assembly. In a large casserole dish cover the bottom with a thin layer of the sauce, to help prevent the noodles from sticking.



Other than this step there is really no rhyme or reason to how I layer the lasagna.



 



I simply noodle, cheese, cheese, cheese, mushroom, sauce, spinach, noodle, repeat.




















For the final or top layer I don't add the spinach or mushroom. No specific reason, I just prefer the cheese and sauce only on the top.



Bake in the 400 degree oven for one hour. Allow to cook for 15 minutes before cutting to serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment