Monday, September 22, 2014

Mushroom Stuffing (Vegan)




So, what do you do when you baked four dozen whole grain rolls for your one year old's first birthday, and you come home with two dozen? You brew some chai tea and get your fall on with some delicious stuffing. Because once a year just ain't enough, babe!

Yesterday, Caleb and I went to Lowes to get some do-dads to make Silas an activity board based off an idea I saw on Pinterest long before he was born. As we were checking out I grabbed a food magazine from the shelf and began flipping through it. There were several fall inspired recipes. Just before I threw the pages closed to save myself the $10 purchase, I caught a glimpse of a stuffing with mushrooms. It looked incredible, and as I have mentioned before if I could bottle the smell of sauteed onion and celery, I would wear it behind my ears like Chanel! So even though I was unable to get the recipe for that beautiful dish what is there to stop me from creating my own? Notta.

What you'll need:
4 cups of a stale whole grain bread
3-4 cups of vegetable broth
1 large onion
4 stalks of celery
7-8 button mushrooms
1/4 cup dried cranberries (I did not have cranberries so I used raisins. I would suggest cranberries!)
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp ground sage
Sea salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Start by dicing the onion and slicing the mushroom and celery. In a large skillet heat the evoo over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms. When the onions are translucent add the seasoning and cook until any liquid released has been reduced.


Cube the bread and add to a medium sized casserole dish.


When the seasoned veggies are ready stir them into the bread cubes along with the cranberries. Then add the vegetable broth. Depending on how dry your bread is it may take up to 4 cups. Stir and taste for seasoning. I also added some Earth Balance to help with browning on the top


Bake in the 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until top is nicely browned.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment