Sunday, October 26, 2014

Super Easy Black Bean Burgers (Vegan) (Gluten Free)


I have not been posting as often lately because it is October. The month of the Annualish Denison Costume Contest, and I have been spending most of my spare time perfecting costumes, making grave stones, cleaning my house from top to bottom, and making a lot of the same easy meals. However, with it feeling like the return of summer today I was craving a burger. These actually turned out rather firm, so if you are feeling like heating up the grill I do believe they would stand up to the challenge.

This recipe makes four burger patties.

What you'll need:
1 15oz can of drained black beans
1/2 carton of mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup of oat flour (instead of buying a bag of over priced oat flour, I make my own from old fashion oats with a grinder)
1/2 cup of walnuts, roughly chopped
Dash of liquid smoke (if you won't be grilling these)
Sea salt and pepper

In a small saute pan heat the evoo over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, liquid smoke, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and they start to take some color.

In a medium bowl dump your black beans. Smash the beans a little. I like the texture of some whole beans, so I use a pastry cutter. Like so...


To the beans, add the mushroom onion mix, walnuts, and oat flour. Stir until thoroughly combined. Taste for seasoning.



Form into patties. Cook in a large skillet until either side of the burger is golden and delicious.




Place burger on your favor bread and top with some whole grain mustard, leafy greens, and a couple homemade, spicy pickle spears.



Enjoy!

*Obviously the bread shown here is not gluten free, but these burgers would be amazing over a bed of vinegar dressed green.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for an easy veggie burger recipe and this one is delicious! Simple to make. I'm definitely going to make this again. These held together well in the pan. I added cumin and a small amount of some other spices, no liquid smoke since I didn't have any. I'm freezing one of the leftovers to see how it does reheated. May add some spinach or other veggies next time. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback! Cumin and greens would be an amazing addition. Happy to hear they turned out well! :)

    ReplyDelete